WHAT: Deputy Head of Operations WHEN: ASAP REPORTS TO: Head of Operations LOCATION: National Theatre, Southbank SALARY: £50k
The National Theatre, one of the UK’s leading arts venues, reaches millions of people each year through live and digital programming, creating and sharing performances in London, across the UK and internationally. The organisation strives to be accessible, inclusive and sustainable. It empowers artists and craftspeople to make world-leading work, inspires young people, and works with communities. Based in the heart of London’s South Bank, the venue is home to multiple performance spaces and is attended by over a million people annually, operating year-round to provide a welcoming space for audiences and visitors alike.
KERB’s vision is to create opportunity and joy through great food, from the kerb up. We operate markets, one-off events, workshops, consultancy, bars, a food hall in Central London and have developed a successful corporate catering arm, KERB Events Ltd.
KERB Events Limited is a joint venture with Compass Group UK. As part of this partnership, KERB Events Limited will become the sole F&B provider for this high-profile performance venue in central London, looking after all public-facing catering as well as internal hospitality and commercial events.
Reporting to the Head of Operations, you will be responsible for Food Safety and Health and Safety compliance at the Venue to include acting as the lead on all maintenance and facilities matters. You will also be responsible for managing the warehouse and logistics teams who are responsible for delivering an exceptional service to the front of house teams, goods in, stock control and inventories of assets and equipment.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Working with and deputising for the Head of Operations when they are out of the business on all things operations, particularly managing the multiple P&Ls of the project, overseeing forecasting and budgets, leading the team, chairing weekly Ops meetings and liaising effectively with our business partners to safeguard future investment and vision of the project
- Demonstrates knowledge of food and beverage operations with a focus on innovation, standards and market awareness
- Working with the Head of Operations, analysis of F&B product lines, making decisions based on commercial performance.
- Effective Line management of the following heads, fostering a positive, strong and supportive team culture; Warehouse Manager with dotted line to Finance Business Partner
- Food Safety Lead, working closely with Executive Chef to ensure that food safety standards are being met and upheld across the business
- Embedding and promoting a culture of Safety throughout the KERB @ National Theatre teams through onboarding, training and continuous improvement initiatives
- Acting as main point of contact on Food Safety and Health & Safety compliance for the Venue including the partners from Compass, Levy, KERB and the National Theatre, alongside the local EHO
- Health & Safety Lead, working closely with the NT Health & Safety team as well as KERB’s Health & Safety Manager, to achieve 100% compliance in line with operational KPIs
- Working in partnership with NT Support Services team
- Managing the Warehouse/Logistics/Stock Control team including handling all staff matters including lateness, absence, performance issues, disciplinaries, grievances etc
- Ensuring a robust system is in place to maximise the efficiency of the Warehouse & Logistics department, including developing and implementing a plan for maintenance and upkeep of all equipment and systems required to service the F&B operation
- Managing the Equipment asset list regarding all repairs, servicing and callouts, alongside budget costs and expenditure
- Maintain and build positive relationships with partnership staff and management as well as key stakeholders within the National Theatre
- At least 5 years experience in a similar role in a fast paced environment within hospitality, events, cultural or heritage environment
- Experience of working in a commercial catering venue would be a distinct advantage
- Excellent operational knowledge, including managing multiple P&L’s, with experience of delivering on a similar sized project
- Excellent working knowledge of EPOS systems for front and back of house (GoodTill preferable)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Food Safety Level 3
- Health and Safety Level 2
- Personal Licence Holder
- Passionate about food
- Positive and flexible attitude, with the ability to think quickly, laterally and problem solve
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and pitch in from time to time on non-designated areas of the business
- Outstanding hustle
This list is in no way exhaustive and the incumbent may be asked to perform other tasks to help out the KERB family (within reason!)