WHAT: General Manager - Seven Dials Market WHEN: ASAP REPORTS TO: COO LOCATION: 35 Earlham St, London WC2H 9LD SALARY: From £60k DOE HOURS: Full Time
KERB is dedicated to the incubation and growth of innovative and delicious food businesses. We run exceptional street food markets, workshops, consultancy, bars, and Seven Dials Market – our flagship central London food hall that sees 4,000 visitors eat and drink at our 18 independent food businesses and two bars every single day.
We are a hospitality obsessed and people-first company who believes that everyone with a bit of spark should have the opportunity to ignite it. Be it food entrepreneurs or team members, our mission is to create opportunity and joy through great food, from the KERB up.
The General Manager will be taking the helm of Seven Dials Market: our 25,000 sq ft food hall in Covent Garden and will ultimately be accountable for leading our team, our bars and our 19 independent food traders to deliver exceptional hospitality and a first class health and safety culture in an exceedingly busy market environment seven days a week.
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic General Manager who thrives in a fast paced, high volume environment. You’ll be a natural leader who communicates with empathy to our team and to our tenants, driving consistently high standards to ensure each guest has a great time, every time; and building systems to ensure every team member has a great shift every day.
We operate all of the bars and front of house elements on site (with exciting plans to develop and deliver two new bars this year), and you’ll be working closely with the COO, Head of Bars, Head of Venue Operations, Head of Food and on site team to strive towards our shared goals of being recognised as a great place to work; leading a diverse team that is representative of London; delivering positive EBITDA; working on our sustainability target of becoming carbon neutral over the next few years; and working with our social enterprise KERB+ on delivering positive social impact in our home city.
- Take ownership of Seven Dials Market as London’s greatest food hall
- Manage the day to day operation, ensuring the venue is operated to the highest standards daily – including relevant H&S and Food Safety legislation, working with junior managers and independent food traders to ensure compliance.
- Setting clear roles and responsibilities for the management team and supervisors, ensure the team are constantly being developed and that they feel well supported and motivated
- Work closely with people team on recruitment, training and compliance for members of the Seven Dials Market team
- Confident in leading the progress of our bar offer and ensure continued revenue growth and product development as well as service innovation
- Ensure the traders are compliant in accordance with their license to operate and are complying to the expectations set out for them
- Act as a brand ambassador for KERB within the Covent Garden community with the Event Manager and team
- Lead weekly management meetings with your team to monitor results, plan ahead and celebrate successes
- Attend monthly finance review meetings
- Lead monthly trader meetings, and quarterly 1:1 meetings
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Ensure clear communication channels between KERB and traders
- Ensure timely and accurate information and documents are provided for the finance team and Senior Management Team
- Participate in setting budgets and KPIs and be accountable for delivering on both
- Support Head of Venue Operations with the overall logistics of the site including waste, cleaning, clearing, H&S, deliveries etc
- Ensure compliance through the FoodAlert system
- Ensure we are constantly delivering ‘exceptional hospitality’
- Shape and create a culture and environment where people want to work
- Personal License holder with knowledge of the Licensing Act 2003 and the four licensing objectives
- Level 3 Food Safety and Level 3 Health and Safety qualifications
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience working in a large, dynamic hospitality venue with high quality cocktail bars at the core
- Background in F&B having led and developed a team of 20+ staff
- Strong high volume bar/wet led experience
- Ability to communicate clearly and set achievable objectives
- Hospitality obsessive – clued up on the constant progress in London food and bars.
- Positive and flexible attitude, with the ability to think laterally and willing to problem solve
- An openness to rolling up your sleeves and pitching in from time to time on non-designated areas of the business
- You will receive 20% off food and drink at Seven Dials Market, KERB Markets and 15% food and drink at the National Theatre.
- Perks at Work – access to 30,000+ national & local employee discounts
- Full training and chances for progression – including personal training budget
- Access to Hospitality Action Employee Assistance program
- CODEapp annual membership
- Team Socials
Please submit your CV and a short covering letter (500 words max) telling us what makes you perfect for the role.