WHAT: General Manager - KERB @ ExCeL WHEN: July / August 2021 REPORTS TO: Operations Director LOCATION: ExCeL London and KERB office (Shoreditch) SALARY: From £60,000
KERB’s vision is to create opportunity and joy through great food, from the kerb up. We operate markets, one-off events, workshops, consultancy, bars, a food hall in Central London and have developed a successful corporate catering arm, KERB Events Ltd.
KERB Events Limited is a joint venture with Compass Group UK. As part of this partnership, KERB will be taking over the retail food and beverage contract at ExCeL London in partnership with Levy UK, a subsidiary of Compass Group. KERB will be providing retail catering via our independent food traders and will also be running all retail coffee and bar outlets. As General Manager, you will lead this contract. You will be the main point of contact for our partners at Levy as well as their clients at ExCeL. You will also be the main point of contact for all food traders, managing these independent businesses on-site. You will need to understand their businesses, monitor and support them in improving their overall performance including compliance, sales growth and levels of customer service. You will also oversee the day to day operation of the coffee and bar units, ensuring operational excellence.
You will have experience of working in a multi-outlet venue, ideally in the retail hospitality sector. You will have experience managing an on-site team, including freelance staff. You will have a passion for food and service, dedicated to delivering the very highest standards. You will be agile, enthusiastic and confident in upholding the kitemark of high quality that KERB Events maintains across all existing business opportunities.
THE ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Acting as the main point of contact between KERB and our partners at Levy UK, the in-house caterers at ExCeL London. This will include regular check ins with their team on-site as well as monthly performance reviews with the on-site team and KERB directors.
- Taking complete ownership of KERB at ExCeL project
- The management of KERB’s independent food traders providing retail catering services at ExCeL – this includes fixed site kiosks as well as temporary retail pop-ups within the exhibition halls.
- Ensuring the traders are complying with the expectations that are set out for them, in terms of quality, customer service and compliance
- Overall responsibility for KERB’s coffee and bar operations on-site to include fixed-site kiosks as well as temporary retail pop-ups within the exhibition halls, ensuring quality, customer service and compliance.
- Uphold the highest Health & Safety standards with effective management of all food, bar and coffee H&S on-site to include document management and on-site audits, and working closely with Levy’s dedicated H&S manager.
- Manage the overall on-site logistics, in partnership with Levy UK, including but not exclusively; waste, cleaning, clearing, deliveries.
- Work closely and creating relationships with 3rd party suppliers to ensure delivery of their Service Level Agreements
- Management of an on-site team to include the Retail Operations Manager, Retail Sales Manager, Back of House Manager and a Bar & Cafe Manager and their respective teams
- Managing the ExCeL P&L and ensuring that all revenue and GP targets are met
- Working with KERB’s staffing partner on hiring, booking and training of any casual staff for KERB at ExCeL
- Creating and Implementing new systems to create best working practices between KERB and ExCeL
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- 3 – 5 years experience of working within venues or for a contract catering company
- Experience of working in a multi-unit environment, ideally in hospitality and/or retail
- 3 – 5 years of account management experience, including a proven track record for exceeding client expectations
- Retail catering / events experience is desirable
- An understanding of the current London-based events and catering industry
- An interest in the independent food industry and wider food scene of London
- Someone who has been to KERB markets and/or events, knows KERB and loves KERB, and who is passionate about working with small businesses to help make events more exciting
- A keen commercial eye
- Knowledge of food Health & Safety
- A keen eye for detail and to deliver at KERB and ExCeL’s high standards
- Excellent people skills, with the ability to talk to clients and traders in a consultative manner and developing long-term relationships
- Proactive / self-starter with lots of initiative
- Outstanding hustle
Please submit your CV and short covering letter (500 words max) telling us what makes you perfect for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: 7th August 2021. We will start interviewing asap, so please hit us up straight away.