WHAT: Senior Sous Chef - Blue Room WHEN: ASAP REPORTS TO: Executive Head Chef LOCATION: National Theatre, Southbank SALARY: £32,000
The National Theatre, one of the UK’s leading arts venues, reaches millions of people each year through live and digital programming, creating and sharing performances in London, across the UK and internationally. The organisation strives to be accessible, inclusive and sustainable. It empowers artists and craftspeople to make world-leading work, inspires young people, and works with communities. Based in the heart of London’s South Bank, the venue is home to multiple performance spaces and is attended by over a million people annually, operating year-round to provide a welcoming space for audiences and visitors alike.
KERB’s vision is to create opportunity and joy through great food, from the kerb up. We operate markets, one-off events, workshops, consultancy, bars, a food hall in Central London and have developed a successful corporate catering arm, KERB Events Ltd.
KERB Events Limited is a joint venture with Compass Group UK. As part of this partnership, KERB Events Limited will become the sole F&B provider for this high-profile performance venue in central London, looking after all public-facing catering as well as internal hospitality and commercial events.
Reporting to the Executive Head Chef to ensure the kitchen operation is managed, maintained and controlled in the most efficient way to achieve operational and financial objectives. Providing exceptional quality of food as part of our Staff Dining offering, Providing strong leadership to junior members of the team while delivering an exceptional culinary experience.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Ensuring food safety and quality through the supervision of all food preparation for our Staff Dining area
- Leading on and directing service and expediting food in Staff Dining area
- Managing the kitchen brigade including scheduling, managing lateness/sickness, completing reviews/appraisals, handling any disciplinary/grievance issues
- Support the Executive Chef to effectively control GP margins with an understanding of growing sales and protecting profit
- Supporting the Executive Chef with any ordering and administration
- Supporting the Executive Chef with menu planning and developing recipes
- Ensuring that H.A.C.C.P procedures are implemented and followed and that all records and food safety checks are completed in a timely manner within the kitchen and related areas
- Sharing your knowledge and passion for food with junior members of the team and to help develop the junior members of the brigade with training, support and guidance, including onboarding and induction training
- Organising and carrying out stock-takes
- Closely monitoring the quality of produce and ingredients
- Ensuring effective stock rotation and adhere to food storage management systems
- Working closely and effectively with your team to develop a positive, open and inclusive culture around our key values and ethos
- Responsible for reporting HSE hazards, accidents, incidents, illness and diseases in line with our safety protocols and living the safety first culture, acting as an example at all times
- Responsible for ensuring we meet all legal and company requirements for fire, health, safety and hygiene
- At least 3 years experience within a contract catering or commercial events environment
- Experience of staff dining would be an advantage
- Level 3 Food Safety for Supervisors
- Strong experience of menu planning and developing recipes
- Strong experience of managing a team
- A real foodie, someone who has a knowledge of KERB markets and/or events and the wider food scene of London
- Positive and flexible attitude, with the ability to think laterally and problem solve
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in from time to time on non-designated areas of the business
- Outstanding hustle
This list is in no way exhaustive and the incumbent may be asked to perform other tasks to help out the KERB family (within reason!)