KERB has made a name for itself as a leader in London’s street food industry. We exist to back raw talent and create a platform for brilliant, independent businesses – from startups to seasoned pros – to thrive across our many markets, events and beyond.
The business has grown significantly over the last five years and markets remain our everyday, our shop window. In August 2016 we launched our biggest project yet, KERB Camden Market, and we’re looking for a brilliant pair of hands to oversee operations and planning across this and our five pop-up lunch markets.
APPLY BY: 29/09/17
LOCATION: Camden – and across London
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Full-time, permanent
SALARY: £30k pa + generous benefits package (and flexible for the right candidate)
START DATE: Beginning of October preferable.
This is a brilliant opportunity to oversee the operational running of our fleet of markets. We estimate over 1m people will visit KERB markets across 2017-2018 and we need a talented, enthusiastic operational expert to develop and maintain the systems and relationships that keep our markets in excellent shape.
The role encompasses ensuring the day-to-day operations of the markets run smoothly and that the markets are promoted effectively. You will maintain existing financial systems and analyse market performance, perform administrative tasks and act as a key player in stakeholder management. You will directly line-manage the market managers who work on the ground at the various sites and work with the traders to improve their trading systems and operations. You will work alongside the Head of Trader Community to develop new ideas for markets and help establish new KERB traders.
The role suits someone with a keen eye for detail, proven expertise in complex operations, an eye for numbers, good communication skills and previous experience of working with a diverse and lengthy range of stakeholders. We need a can-do character with the hunger and expertise to push our markets forward to a new level, and be a key player in the growth of KERB.
THE ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Overseeing the operations of KERB Camden Market and our pop-up lunch markets .
- Line-managing the market managers we employ at each site – being a regular resource and support for them.
- Being a point of contact for the KERB traders on all market queries.
- Developing, maintaining and analysing market finances and trader performance. Excel proficiency and a clear head for numbers is important here.
- Communicating with a wide range of stakeholders across email, phone and face-to-face. This involves the market landowners, their site teams, the KERB team, market managers, our traders, their staff and the public.
- Focusing on the customer experience at our markets and developing ways to enhance this.
- Working with councils and traders on health and safety considerations and working with the operations team to continually raise the bar in all related matters.
- Working with the street food businesses involved to ensure they’re safe and operating at an optimal level, overseeing regular spot-checks and giving guidance and feedback on a wide range of issues, operational and creative.
- Working with the marketing team to develop strategies and ideas for promoting KERB markets.
- Promoting new ideas and ways of thinking and operating across the markets.
WOULD SUIT SOMEONE WITH:
- Proven expertise in operations.
- A head for numbers, data analysis and spreadsheet maintenance and development.
- A clear and detailed understanding of health and safety issues.
- Strong people management skills, working with a wide range of stakeholders to deliver the best outcome for KERB and its traders.
- Experience managing a restaurant, food service or street food business setting.
- Experience of project management and ability to manage all aspects of a project to completion.
- Proactive / self-starter able to focus and operate in a free-style work environment.
- Excellent people skills, confident talking to customers and traders and developing long-term relationships.
- An interest and understanding of the street food industry and wider food scene of London.
- Ability to adapt communication style according to the audience.
- Ability to delegate as well as take direction when necessary.
- Love of the outdoors and food’s role within the city.
- Willingness to attend relevant events in order to promote KERB and its traders.
- Positive and flexible attitude, with the ability to think laterally and willing to problem solve (team player essential).
- A CV
- A short covering letter (500 words max) that tells us what makes you perfect for the role, with examples of how you fit the brief.
Deadline is 14th September but if an exceptional candidate is found we may employ sooner.